Saturday, October 19, 2013

And Forward We Go

A lot has happened in these last few weeks.  I last ended my previous post reaching my weightloss goal and ready to begin Clomid.  Thursday I called my RE's office, and was all "hey I'm less of a fatty, gimme the clomid".  The receptionist wrote in the script and told me to come in on cd 13 or 14.  I decided on cd 14 and had the husband pick up the clomid.  The clomid came in individually wrapped in little foil packets, with the instructions to take them for the next 5 days.  I was grateful because it was going to be a long weekend and I could suffer out my clomid rage at home, rather than at the office.  I don't know who was more nervous about the side effects of the clomid, me or Dave.  I was prescribed 50 mg, and I was terrified of all of the side effects that could or would happen.I took it Friday night after dinner, said a small prayer and drank it down with water.  And to be honest, it wasn't that bad. The headaches, nausea, anger blackouts, hot flashes.  I had none of that. 

Over the weekend, I started to ruminate and fuss that  cd 14 was just too late.  What if I missed our chance and I ovulate early? What if I have cysts and I don't know about it? I had been feeling some pain in my ovary and I was concerned that the follicles were growing really well or it was another god-damned cyst.  I also realized that I had no idea what my RE's protocol was for the IUI.  Sadly (or thankfully) I'm not one to just blindly trust someone, so i proceeded to have a mini freak out at home.  Do I trigger and then have sex? Do I do the IUI before or after the trigger? GAH so many questions!!!

 I waited until Monday and then called the office back while we were driving on a mini road trip.  I was armed with a list of written questions to ask, in case I became so flustered that I forgot.  I was on the phone for 20 minutes.  They agreed to have me come in on cd10 (although they said just be prepared that they won't see anything and it's going to be way to early) and walked me through all of the steps.  The nurse ended the conversation by telling me not to worry, everything will be fine.  Ha, how little she knows me. 

This Friday was CD 10.  I had made peace with the fact that I was most likely over reacting and wasting 80 bucks for an ultrasound that was going to tell me nothing. Dave had the day off so he decided to come along as well.  I told him it was going to be a waste of time, that I was just going to prop my legs in stirrups,  have a camera shoved up my vagina and told that it's too early.  We get into the ultrasound room, I undress and hop up on the table.  The RE comes in and I lay down and put my legs in the air and the vag-cam goes up my vagina.  And lo and behold, there it is.  One beautiful 18mm follie, and another one not far behind.  My RE says "well you're going to trigger tonight and come in on Sunday for insemination."  What the what?!?  I sure as hell was not prepared for that scenario!  I was floored and thanked my lucky stars that I'm an over reactor and made the appointment.  My RE went on to say that if I had come in on Tuesday only, I would have missed my chance and it would have been a cycle wasted.  Ugh, after this long, each cycle is precious and I sure as hell did not want to waste one.

After that it was a flurry of activity.  We met with the nurse who showed us how to inject the trigger, it seemed simple enough, tap out the air bubble and inject.  The the receptionist told me when I had to trigger.  Midnight.  I had to trigger at midnight.  Excuse me, but do you realize that we both go to sleep by 9pm and now I have to stay up until midnight AND get a shot.  Fuck I thought, this better work.  The other receptionist (my former boss) finally recognized who I was and we got to talking.  As we left to go next door to the pharmacy,  both of them cheered as we walked out the door.  This was really happening!!!

Of course, it's never that easy.  We walked next door to the pharmacy to pick up the trigger shot.  We had to wait while they cleared it with insurance because it required a prior-auth.  We had an hour to kill before my next appointment, so I was fine with waiting.  After 45 minutes, I became uneasy.  The pharmacist said they were having difficulty with reaching the insurance company, but they could give me a coupon and the trigger shot would be about 80 bucks after the coupon.  I was ready to take the deal, but with Dave being the cheapest man alive, he wanted to wait it out.  I had to leave to go to my next appointment and left the haggling in my husband's capable hands.

Following the appointment I called Dave back.  There had been a change of plans.  He was on his way across town to pick up a different kind of shot at another pharmacy.  Apparently the nurse at my RE's office came and got him after they realized it was going to be such a hassle.  Now the trigger shot was going to be something that we had to mix together two solutions and seemed much more complicated.  Dave assured me they showed him step by step and he thought he could do it.  I started to drive home.  Twenty minutes later, as I was about to turn into our development I get a call from Dave again, asking if I had the insurance card.  "Of course not" I told him, he had it and gave it to the pharmacy.  Then it dawns on me that he probably never got his card back before he left.  Son of a bitch, now I have to drive across town (in rush hour) to get this shot, that I need tonight and he needs to go back to the other pharmacy.  We pass each other going opposite directions and I drive 30 minutes to pick up the shot.  This particular shot cost $220 but was only $5 with insurance.  Again thank you Dave's insurance!! I rush it back home and begin to wait til midnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment